Monday, September 7, 2009

Fresh Apple Cake with Caramel Icing


This is one of my mom's cake recipes and my grandmother's icing recipes. I was having a real sweet tooth and found a bunch of apples at work that were about to go bad. Everything else I had in my cabinet at home. I put half the batter in a 9x9 pan to take to the office and I made the rest into muffins for my brother and his wife. It was delicious and even better paired with some hot tea or a cup of coffee.




Fresh Apple Cake:

Mix in order:
1 1/2 c. oil
2 c. sugar
3 lg. eggs
3 c. plain flour, sifted with 1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (opt.)
1/2 tsp. allspice (opt.)
3 c. finely diced apples
1 1/2 c. chopped pecans
1 tsp. vanilla

Pour into a greased and floured 9x13 inch pan and back at 350 degrees for 1 hour. 


Never-Fail Caramel Icing:

1 1/2 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 c. white sugar
3/4 c. butter
3/4 c. milk

Combine all ingredients and let boil hard for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to keep from sticking. Let cool slightly. Put in mixer and beat until thick enough to spread on cake. If for any reason it gets too thick, just keeping adding a little bit of milk at a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment