Friday, July 24, 2009

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes

Everyone loves a good cupcake! Well, at least I do! While brainstorming at work a few weeks ago, Catherine and I were determined to come up with a dessert for Ashlee's birthday. We knew Ashlee's favorite cupcake at GiGi's was the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcake, so I decided to look up a version I could recreate! Also, what better combination is there besides peanut butter and chocolate? 

After my last birthday cake failure, my mom suggested I try new recipes out before I serve them. Therefore, Mom and I tested them out when I went home the weekend before. They turned out perfect both times I made them. The icing was the best part! My roommate, Mandy (my favorite critic and taste tester), is not a huge icing fan and she mentioned she could eat it by the spoonful! I highly recommend that everyone should keep these ingredients in there kitchen at all times! The miniature peanut butter cup was an extra beauty touch!
 

"Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake
From Hershey's

1 cups sugar
1/2 + 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3/4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup boiling water

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Line 12 muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter)
with paper bake cups.

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and
salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium
speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
Fill cups 2/3 full with batter.

3. Bake 20 to 23 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes
out clean (Do not overbake!). Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans and
place on wire rack. Cool completely.



"Peanut Butter Frosting"
From Barefoot Contessa

1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup heavy cream

Place the confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and
salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
Mix on medium-low speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl with a
rubber spatula as you work. Add the cream and beat on high speed until
the mixture is light and smooth.


3 comments:

  1. Your cupcakes were awesome!!! I knew that icing tasted familar...I made that same recipe on my birthday cake! It is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted one of those cupcake holders! Totally jealous, and btw, your cupcakes are awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummm! These look delicious!
    Happy Baking to you! :)
    Love your blog
    -Mini Baker

    ReplyDelete